Warren Wilson College added varsity tennis during the 2018-19 academic year.
The college is seeking a men’s and women’s tennis coach with the right aptitude, education and experience to recruit and build a competitive tennis program in the position of Head Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach/Director of Intramurals. Ideal candidates will possess the ability to build a year old program, recruit, motivate, and support student athletes, and create a strong team performance and culture. Competitive applicants should have proven successful tennis coaching and recruiting experience, and have excellent communication and efficient organizational skills.
Under the leadership of the Director of Athletics and Adventure Sports, the primary areas of responsibility for this position include oversight and operation of the men’s and women’s tennis team including all aspects of coaching, recruiting, budgeting, scheduling, fundraising and managing the program within the policies and philosophy of Warren Wilson College. This position also includes a primary responsibility for overseeing campus intramural program.
Warren Wilson College was recently approved to begin the exploratory membership process to become an NCAA Division III member. The college will begin the NCAA Division III membership process during the 2019-20 academic year. Warren Wilson is currently a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA). Warren Wilson College added varsity tennis during the 2018-19 academic year.
Interested candidates should read further to learn more details about the position, qualifications and key areas of responsibility listed in the job description. Please note that priority will be given to individuals who apply by November 8, 2019 by Noon EST. Candidates must apply electronically. Thank you!
- Commitment to the College’s mission and the mission of the Athletic Department.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience in related fields which include program development and collegiate coaching.
- USPTA and tennis certifications preferred.
- Excellent computer skills are required, including proficiency with databases, spreadsheets and excellent word processing ability preferred.
- Willingness and ability to learn new tasks easily and ask questions.
- Team player that shares a commitment to enhance the student experience.
- Commitment to diversity equity and inclusion.
- Previous tennis experience at the collegiate level.
- Recruiting experience.
- Ability to recruit, coach and teach talented student-athletes.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- An ability to communicate with and interact positively with students, faculty, staff and the broader community.
- Demonstrating competency in helping to meet program objectives, working independently and helps to establish program priorities.
- The ability to develop a safe, functional, and inclusive working environment.
- A current certification in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automatic external defibrillator (AED) use.
- Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one required.
The primary areas of responsibility for this position include oversight and operation of the Men’s and Women’s Tennis Teams including all aspects of coaching, recruiting, budgeting, scheduling, fundraising and managing the men’s and women's intercollegiate tennis programs within the policies and philosophy of Warren Wilson College. This position also includes coordination and oversight of intramural sports, which includes designing and offering a variety of recreational opportunities for the general student body and turf management duties.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the College’s mission and the mission of the Athletic Department.
- Schedule intercollegiate contests. Considerations include any Warren Wilson community event, travel time, competition between like opponents, and realistic demands placed on student-athletes.
- Plans and implements a systematic recruiting program under the direction of the Athletic Director and Vice President of Enrollment. Additionally, reach recruiting goals/quotas. Must recruit a full team of seven men and seven women.
- Must work on campus unless traveling for approved strategic recruiting initiatives/trips.
- Assists in building relations with the WWC alumni.
- Utilize recruiting software and maintain a database.
- Recruit and retain qualified student-athletes who are capable of academic, athletic, and social success in a competitive academic, athletic and work environment through visits, scouting, phone calls, correspondence, camps, and clinics to meet established roster goals.
- Promote a team culture conducive to academic and athletic excellence.
- Organize and maintain all travel operations including scheduling, budgeting, driving and proper management of student-athletes.
- Work effectively with student-athletes, staff, faculty and administrators through good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Maintain and inventory all tennis college assets.
- Represent the college in an appropriate and professional manner at all times.
- Create a high standard of athletic training, leadership, preparation, competition, exercise and skill development for all student-athletes.
- Maintain appropriate office hours and files.
- Oversee and manage the team budget while being fiscally responsible.
- Reconcile credit card statements, collects and submits all departmental check requests to the office of administration and finance.
- Maintain a professional appearance when representing the college.
- Establish a working and coaching presence in the athletic offices.
- Assist with game management and building operations as needed.
- Ensures compliance with all Association, Conference, and College rules by athletes and supporting staff.
- Attend department meetings, home and away athletic events as required.
Director of Intramurals
- Responsibilities for intramurals include planning, organizing, promoting and implementing all aspects of campus intramurals.
- Provide a platform in which students can compete with and against one another in a safe and positive environment.
- Administer a fun and social intramural program meant to build community, provide opportunities to socialize with others and promote healthy living.
- Create, maintain and distribute intramural policies and procedures.
- Promote all intramural activities through social media, print materials and other mediums.
- Assist with the supervision of the athletics crew.
- Supervise and maintain both online and manual registration systems.
- Attend and supervise intramural events; supervising and/or officiating as necessary.
- Manage the intramural budget.
- Oversee equipment inventory.
- Collaborate with other crews on campus such as Student Activities, Outdoor Programs, Residence life, and Wellness.
- Coordinate and develop associations with other campus intramural or club team programs, sporting events, and/or community leagues.
- Seek ways to expand student programming with professional organizations such as NIRSA (National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association).
Other duties as assigned.
Athletics and Adventure Sports
Director of Athletics and Adventure Sports
12 month, M-F 40+ hours/week