Warren Wilson College is adding a new varsity women’s lacrosse program. This position will focus on recruiting a full team during this academic year and will begin to practice and compete in the 2020-2021 academic year.
The college is seeking a women’s lacrosse coach with the right aptitude, education and experience to recruit and build a competitive lacrosse program in the position of Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach / Athletics Crew Supervisor. Ideal candidates will possess the ability to build a program from scratch, recruit, motivate, and support student athletes, and create a strong team performance and culture. Competitive applicants should have proven successful lacrosse coaching and recruiting experience, and have excellent communication and efficient organizational skills.
Under the leadership of the Director of Athletics and Adventure Sports, the primary areas of responsibility for this position include oversight and operation of the women’s lacrosse team including all aspects of coaching, recruiting, budgeting, scheduling, fundraising and managing the program within the policies and philosophy of Warren Wilson College. This position also includes a primary responsibility for athletics crew supervisor. The crew supervisor is responsible for managing and leading students who work in athletics that assist with daily operations of the athletic facilities.
Warren Wilson College was recently approved to begin the exploratory membership process to become an NCAA Division III member. The college will begin the NCAA Division III membership process during the 2019-20 academic year. Warren Wilson is currently a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
Interested candidates should read further to learn more details about the position and key areas of responsibility listed in the job description. Please note that priority will be given to individuals who apply by October 11, 2019 by Noon EST. Candidates must apply electronically. Thank you!
- Commitment to the College’s mission and the mission of the Athletic Department.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in related fields which include program development and collegiate coaching preferred.
- Proven collegiate recruiting experience preferred.
- Previous lacrosse experience at the collegiate level preferred.
- Excellent computer skills are required, including proficiency with databases, spreadsheets, and word processing ability.
- Be willing to learn new tasks and ask questions.
- Team player that shares a commitment to enhancing the student experience.
- Commitment to diversity equity and inclusion.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Have an ability to communicate with and interact positively with students, faculty, staff, and the broader community.
- Demonstrating competency in helping to meet program objectives, working independently, and helps to establish program priorities.
- The ability to develop a safe, functional, and inclusive working environment.
- A current certification in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automatic external defibrillator (AED) use.
- Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one required.
This position oversees implementing the addition of a new women’s lacrosse program at the college. The primary areas of responsibility for this position include oversight and operation of the women’s lacrosse team including all aspects of coaching, recruiting, budgeting, scheduling, and managing the programs within the policies and philosophy of Warren Wilson College. This position also includes oversight as the athletics crew supervisor.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the College’s mission and the mission of the athletic department.
- Plan and implement a systematic recruiting program under the direction of the Athletic Director and Vice President of Enrollment. Additionally, reach recruiting goals/quotas.
- Recruit and retain qualified student-athletes who are capable of academic, athletic, and social success in a competitive academic, athletic, and work environment. This may occur through visits, scouting, social media, phone calls, correspondence, camps, and clinics and other strategies to meet established roster goals.
- Schedule intercollegiate contests. Considerations include any Warren Wilson community event, travel time, competition between like opponents, and realistic demands placed on student-athletes.
- Build and promote a team culture conducive to academic and athletic excellence.
- Create a high standard of athletic training, leadership, preparation, competition, exercise, and skill development for all student-athletes.
- Ensures compliance with all association, conference, and college rules by athletes and supporting staff.
- Hire and supervise assistant coach as the team grows in size.
- Attend department meetings, home and away athletic events as required.
- Assist with game management and building operations as needed.
- Assist with field management as needed.
Program and Budget Management
- Organize and maintain all travel operations including scheduling, budgeting, driving, and proper management of student-athletes.
- Utilize recruiting software and maintain a database.
- Oversee and manage the team budget while being fiscally responsible.
- Reconcile credit card statements, collects and submits all departmental check requests to the office of administration and finance.
- Maintain and inventory all lacrosse team college assets.
- Maintain appropriate office hours and files.
Communications and Collaboration
- Work effectively with student-athletes, staff, faculty, and administrators through excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Always represent the college appropriately and professionally.
- Assist in building relations with the WWC internal and external community.
- Maintain a professional appearance when representing the college.
- Establish a working and coaching presence in the athletic offices.
- Supervise crew members and make sure all students work their necessary hours, responsibilities of crew include:
- Clean and maintain DeVries Gym
- Communicate with intramural crew supervisor to ensure the program is successful
- Communicate with game day managers to ensure all students know how to work equipment and keep statistics
- Coordinate crew schedules with varsity schedules
- Attend WPO supervisor orientations and retreats, and collaborate with the staff of the WPO to problem solve any student crew issues that may arise
- Assist game day managers to include staffing crew for event logistics
- Coordinate with crew to ensure timely, secure opening and closing of facilities for events and groups.
- Create and monitor a safe and clean environment for each athletic venue in conjunction with athletic crew members.
- Assist the WPO with selection and recruitment of student crew members, and provide orientation and training for all student workers to support their professional and educational development.
- Coordinate, communicate and monitor student work schedules, and approve student time cards by payroll schedule deadlines.
- Maintain professional boundaries with student crew members.
- Guide students through the learning and performance goals and evaluation process in a timely manner.
Other duties as assigned
Athletics and Adventure Sports
Director of Athletics and Adventure Sports
12 month, M-F 40+ hours/week,