ABOUT WARREN WILSON COLLEGE
Warren Wilson College is a vibrant, nationally recognized, independent liberal arts college with an enrollment of approximately 600 undergraduates located on a 1,135-acre campus in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, North Carolina. The education program incorporates experiential learning, challenging work experiences, and deliberate community engagement, with a commitment to sustainable practices.
Responsible for the daily technical operations of the theatre, including lighting, sound, set design and construction, and coordinating necessary maintenance. This position is also responsible for supervising and training all student crew members for all theatre crews as well as acting as the Kittredge Theater building manager.
- Responsible for training, supervising and evaluating all student work crew members- including box office, theatre office, rentals, costumes, design, construction and painting.
- Attend monthly department meetings.
- Contribute to and support the departmental pedagogy and mission as well as a commitment to the mission, vision and values of Warren Wilson College.
- Manage technical theatre budget.
- Responsible for set construction, prop construction and all technical theatre purchasing.
- Staff and train all necessary personnel for productions and events.
- Hang, focus and maintain all lighting equipment for productions and events; maintain and supervise all use of audio equipment for productions and events; maintain, and train students on how to safely operate, counterweight systems.
- Act as Technical Director on Warren Wilson Theatre (WWT) shows and attend necessary production meetings.
- Supervise, staff and run all AV needs for Kittredge Theater.
- Collaborate and consult with Theatre Faculty on productions and needs.
- Maintain and repair theater building and work with Facilities Maintenance and Technical Services division on major needs, repairs and requests including all building work orders.
- Responsible for Kittredge Theater calendar and for scheduling public space and outside rentals.
- Collaborate and interact cordially with fellow faculty, students, and guest artists, designers and directors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree required; Bachelor’s degree in Theatre or related field desirable.
- 3-5 years experience in Theater Direction, Design and Facility Management.
- At least 2 years experience in supervising and managing others.
- Significant, demonstrable experience as a technical director in professional or university theatre.
- Demonstration of effective mentoring, supervising and supporting student and entry level technicians and designers.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Theatre Director / Faculty
20 hours/week, M-F business hours, some weekend and evening hours required.