ABOUT WARREN WILSON COLLEGE
Warren Wilson College is a vibrant, nationally recognized, independent liberal arts college with an enrollment of approximately 600 undergraduates located on a 1,135-acre campus in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, North Carolina. The education program incorporates experiential learning, challenging work experiences, and deliberate community engagement, with a commitment to sustainable practices.
Under the general direction of the Director of Public Safety, reporting directly to the Assistant Director of Public Safety, the Public Safety Officer shall assist in providing a safe and secure environment for faculty, staff, students and guests of the Warren Wilson College.
- Inspects buildings and grounds to observe and secure facilities against fire and other situations of potential loss to Warren Wilson College.
- Admits and releases authorized persons, removes unauthorized persons and provides access control for approved personnel.
- Responds, investigates and documents disturbances and/or incidents, takes necessary and appropriate actions to maintain order, safety and to protect property.
- Cooperates with campus staff and external law enforcement agencies while conducting investigations. Testifies in court, if applicable or required.
- Provides escort services as requested for students and visitors to Warren Wilson College facilities and parking lots.
- Participates in campus wide events that enhance the Public Safety Department’s interaction and visibility amongst the campus community.
- Abides, follows and enforces Warren Wilson College policies, applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Enforces campus parking regulations by issuing tickets and controlling traffic as needed.
- Performs special assignments including staffing of external/internal events and protecting Warren Wilson College equipment and property.
- Is required to operate Warren Wilson College vehicles including, but not limited to vans, golf carts and any other motorized vehicles safely.
- Must possess the ability to create comprehensive and concise written reports and other types of institutional documentation as necessary while applying principles & correct usage of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Must possess the ability to use a laptop/desktop and a variety of computer software to enter, modify, retrieve and track incident, hazard, statistical and other data, and to compose and prepare correspondence, surveys, memoranda, routine reports and other written material.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be physically capable of entering all campus facilities, able to drive appropriate vehicles, and work indoor and outdoor in all weather conditions.
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Must be capable of standing or walking for prolonged periods, walking up and down inclines, climbing stairs, and occasionally running, stooping, lunging, reaching, crawling, or other physical activities required to respond to calls.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED.) Associates degree from an accredited college/university is preferred. A combination of education and experience which provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job may be substituted upon the supervisor’s approval.
- Prior work history of public safety, security, military or law enforcement is preferred.
- Certifications in CPR, First Aid and First Responder are preferred.
- Demonstrates a high degree of ethical behavior and adheres to the standards and regulations of the Warren Wilson College environment.
- Dedicated and committed to assisting others with the ability to work with diverse populations and personalities.
- Cooperative, collaborative and inclusive team player.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and daily responsibilities.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates solid judgment in the everyday work environment.
- Valid North Carolina Driver's license in good standing (or the ability to obtain one); must be insurable.
- Must be flexible to work varying work schedules depending on Warren Wilson College Public Safety Department needs.
- Commitment to diversity equity and inclusion.
Student Life/Public Safety
Director of Public Safety
40+ hours/week, schedule may vary